All the Freebies Below
One goal in my own practice, with my students, and in the 6-Bullet Saturday newsletter is to keep things practical and useful and inexpensive.
Below you’ll find links to all the free and/or cheap stuff I’ve found to help boost the quality of my practice.
- Basic Music Theory: How to Read, Write, and Understand Written Music: This course is totally FREE as I develop it. Part One is done, and more to come every few days. Based on the eponymous bestselling book.
- Free mini-course on jamming and improvising. This SUPER basic stuff, meant for absolute beginners, middle-school students and up.
They’re taken from the “extras page” that goes along with Basic Music Theory: How to Read, Write, and Understand Written Music, a book I wrote for my students nearly 20 years ago because there was nothing like it on the market. There still isn’t (see free courses above and learn for free).
- free printable staff paper;
- a simple printable practice journal;
- piano keyboard with note names,
- guitar fretboard with note names,
- circle of fifths,
- musical terms and markings;
- major, minor, pentatonic, and blues scales along with patterns to practice (in treble clef) and a
- scale practice checklist.
- Check out this great, free poster (see below) to remind yourself and your students about the power of mindsets. Also free and printable. It’s from chapter 6 of The Practice of Practice.